American Cowboy Legends Collector's Edition: Great Ranches of the American West
Ranching is important not just to Western culture, but also to the heartbeat of our nation and the world. On a ranch, the concepts of an honest day's work, tradition, and family are actually put to use. From Texas' storied Four Sixes to the historic Spanish Ranch of the Great Basin, in this special collector's issue you'll ride the ranges of the greatest ranches of the West and meet the folks working hard to keep them that way.
Here's a peek at what's inside:
- Texas The storied tale of cattle baron Burk Burnett's and the founding of the 6666. Plus The legacy of the King Ranch; trails blazed by iconic cowman, Charles Goodnight; and more!
- Great Plains The Adams family operates the XIT for more than a century and across generations. Plus The death of the "Old West" and ten renowned ranches of the Great Plains; and more!
- Southwest The Sierra Bonita becomes one of the biggest Southwest spreads. Plus New Mexico native and Southwest steward, Albert K. Mitchell; and the story behind the Hashknife brand.
- Great Basin A day in the life of a buckaroo on the historic Spanish Ranch. Plus Elko, the heart of buckaroo country; the story behind the ZX brand; and more!
- California The venerable Tejon Ranch is the largest single private landholding in California. Plus The history of California's cattle industry; the most impressive ranches in the state; and more!
- Northern Mountains A ranch wife's story about cultivating a life and livelihood in a remote Colorado canyon. Plus A mountain man rendezvous; the cattle drive that inspired Lonseome Dove; and more!
We Also Recommend
Your Complete Guide to Western Dressage: 12 Lessons To Take Your From The Basics To Your First Show
No More Bad Rides!: Commonsense solutions to 7 riding and training problems From the Editors of EQUUS Magazine